[Panamon] Computer Trouble (Mac)

edited June 2002 in General Discussion

Comments

• edited December 1969
    A brief review of the state of my computer:

Beige g3 desktop 233, upgraded to 400 mhz g3. voodoo3 card, on-board VRAM upgrade, 448 megs RAM. Internal IDE HD, SCSI HD, IDE CDRW, floppy.

One morning the IDE drives would not power up at all - no spin-up, no LED indicators. The SCSI drive would spin up fine, but the computer would not recognize the boot folder on the SCSI drive. I did not try starting up from a floppy, as there were no startup floppies to boot from. After some discussion with y'all, I decided to replace the motherboard - it was decided that the IDE bus on the mobo wasn't working.

After replacing the motherboard with one purchased from eBay (cough), the computer is worse off than before. Plugging in the power supply to the wall outlet starts the power supply fan, but none of the drives. The three LED's on the keybaord flash like crazy, then after a while only the one on the far right (scroll lock I think) stays constantly lit and the other two go out. Is it possible that the power supply or power cables have gone bad? Or could the processor have died? I hvae another processor I could check with, but it's been sitting around for two years, and I won't be able to get it until the end of the month.

Any info/ideas/used computer offers would be appreciated... I may soon be in the market for a G4.

Evan/Panamon
  • edited December 1969
    I'm no expert but...
    After replacing the motherboard with one purchased from eBay
    (cough), the computer is worse off than before. Plugging in the
    power supply to the wall outlet starts the power supply fan, but
    none of the drives. The three LED's on the keybaord flash like
    crazy, then after a while only the one on the far right (scroll
    lock I think) stays constantly lit and the other two go out. Is
    it possible that the power supply or power cables have gone bad?
    Or could the processor have died? I hvae another processor I
    could check with, but it's been sitting around for two years,
    and I won't be able to get it until the end of the month.
    When lights on the keyboard start flashing, I start to wonder about the ADB bus. You can try a different keyboard or mouse, but it may also be the chip on the mainboard is fried.

I assume, of course, that you've checked all the memory. When the power supply comes on, but the computer won't boot, bad memory proved to be the problem in my case.

--
    Chief