[Croaker #CP#V] Guild Wars

edited October 2004 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    The Free world preview event will be running through this weekend. Go download the client here, http://guildwars.com/preview/wpe-clientdownload.html
    and start playing.

Happy Holloween.
  • edited December 1969
    I tried it...

And was very disappointed.

Gorgeous!! But even after reading the help stuff, I felt trapped trying to do much of anything besides walking around beautiful landscapes.

So I went back to playing City of Heroes, which is produced by the same Company.

What did I miss?

N8
  • edited December 1969
    Having no direction was frustrating.
    And was very disappointed.

Gorgeous!! But even after reading the help stuff, I felt trapped
    trying to do much of anything besides walking around beautiful
    landscapes.

So I went back to playing City of Heroes, which is produced by
    the same Company.

What did I miss?

N8
    They didn't give anyone a clue what to do or where to go really, which left a lot of players wandering around asking if anyone else knew what to do. There are quests that you're kind of guided into but don't have to do. The beginnings of quests are an open area with a bunch of people standing around and your screen will flash "Cooperative Area" breifly. What you do is team up with other players by either inviting players to join you as captain, get invited to join another team, or ask to join another team. Once the captain has determined he has enough players of the right type he clicks the enter button and you all go into the quest.

Your other options are wandering around looking at the cool landscapes and killing the occasional monster, sometimes you'll run into towns or npc's that will open mini quests for you, usually a "take this to another town for me", or "find my lost friend for me" type of thing. Since it's still in beta the open areas are pretty empty so wandering around is pretty eventless.

If you don't want to explore either solo or with friends, and you don't want to coop, you can enter the player vs. player arenas where team's fight each other. The beauty of these wars is that this game is completely tactics based. There is no Dex, Str, Vit points. Everyone has the same health and energy with small bonuses added depending on your characters main title (warrior, elementalist, etc...). You fight using skill sets that are available for your type character. You can change your skill sets before entering the battle in order to set a team strategy. Each player having a different support role for the team. I've not played City of Hero's but I'll bet it's very similar since they're both done by the same company.