Re: Myth 3?
    A voice from the past here ...

Has Myth 3 been released?

I just saw it in a store in the UK.
    yep, buggy as hell tho.

-ax
  • edited December 1969
    Don't buy it...

Unless you want to encourage game publishers to continue pushing unfinished titles out the door to make their company financials look good.

Be a responsible capitalist. Don't buy Myth 3. Encourage everyone you know to not buy Myth 3.

_/ C

• edited December 1969
    Unless...

Fine and dandy. But if/when the patch is released, and if/when most of the bugs are fixed, *then* buy it. Hopefully, the publisher's quarter sucks, but they get the message that the consuming (spending) public want a bug-free product (or at least *reasonably* bug-free).

Ratbert #CP#Z
    Unless you want to encourage game publishers to continue pushing
    unfinished titles out the door to make their company financials
    look good.

Be a responsible capitalist. Don't buy Myth 3. Encourage
    everyone you know to not buy Myth 3.

_/ C
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Unless...
    Fine and dandy. But if/when the patch is released, and if/when
    most of the bugs are fixed, *then* buy it. Hopefully, the
    publisher's quarter sucks, but they get the message that the
    consuming (spending) public want a bug-free product (or at least
    *reasonably* bug-free).
    Or buy the Mac version from MacSoft. Support the company that actually is fixing some bugs before shipping.

(Yes I know Take 2 still gets money this way, but it might show them which version we like more, bugs vs no bugs)

Click Here!
    namebanner.gif
  • edited December 1969
    what are you doing in the UK?

Hey big guy,

Let's do lunch....

Need some help on any projects?

Tofu
  • edited December 1969
    Or how about this?

Buy it because the more sales M3 gets, the better it reflects on the development team, (ie Santa), therefore improving their prospects for future employment.
  • edited December 1969
    Hopefully ignoring the local "cuisine"... [nt]

• edited December 1969
    Or...

Buy it because it's fun. It's definatly got it's issues, but it's got a lot underneath the hood. Single player is fine, I'm sure the co-op crowd will get a lot of milage out of it.

As for multi, well, it's in more dire straights than the single player is. It definatly needs some work, but I'll wait and see what happens with the patch before I pass judgment on it.

-Mori
  • edited December 1969
    English food is getting better

though it hardly could have gotten any worse.

Zag/Mark
  • edited December 1969
    No, it's not...

English food still blows chunks (or will cause a normal human to blow chunks). However, the English themselves are beginning to eat better food. All that empire building has finally started to pay off. Chicken Curry (with *real* Indian curry, not that nasty fake curry the English tried to pawn off on the world decades ago) appears to be the national food (at least, according to my UK informants).

Heck, even Lister eats vindaloo which, despite cauterizing the entire gastro-intestinal system, is infinitely better than cold blood pudding.

Remember, the English successfully invaded Scotland (finally), and therefore must accept haggis as a "native" food (probably a driving force behind devolution). ;^)
  • edited December 1969
    Re: No, it's not...
    English food still blows chunks (or will cause a normal human to
    blow chunks). However, the English themselves are beginning to
    eat better food.
    If you compare current times to the age of the Unidentifiable White Sauce, you will certainly agree that English food is getting better. Note that I did *not* say that English food is good; there's not enough alcohol in the world to get me sufficiently drunk to say something like that. Merely that it's less atrocious than it once was, and for the reasons you mention--because they're eating foreign cuisine that is better, and starting to draw a few conclusions from it. American food, which also was once notably sucky, went through a similar transformation in the 70's and 80's and now has quite a bit to recommend it.

Zag/Mark (who once seriously considered enrolling in cooking school, though I thought better of it)

• edited December 1969
    [b]Re: No, it's not...[/b]

[quote]
    Zag/Mark (who once seriously considered enrolling in cooking
    school, though I thought better of it)

[/quote]
    Just think, if you had pursued your dream, you could have been on the premiere of Iron Chef USA tonight.

I have to say, the sports metaphor was (unsurprisingly) way overdone, the commentators not nearly as good (yet?) as on the original, and it was disappointing that this episode's winner seemed to be determined by the use of fireworks as a garnish. But the casting of William Shatner as chairman... that was sheer cheesy genius. The original chairman was the Japanese William Shatner.

• edited December 1969
    NO.

It is WRONG for a company to intentionally release a product that does not do what it claims. In the real world, we call that "fraud". Fraud is a felony. Fraud perpetrated across state lines in the United States is called "racketeering". People get locked in small rooms for some length of time when it is proven that they perpetrate such things in the real world.

Somehow, in the world of computers, we call these things "status quo". Well, not me, not any more.

I will not buy another piece of computer software until I am reasonably certain that it is what it says it is, and does what it purports to do. I'm not calling myself better or worse than anyone else. This is a decision I've come to myself after being repeatedly sodomized by purveyors of software fraud.

Do what you want with your money, but for the sake of software users everywhere, I encourage you to be responsible with your money. Giving it to companies that perpetrate fraud will only encourage more of the same. If there's money to be had, you can bet that someone somewhere will rise to the challenge and do their level best to separate you from yours. With no downside, they're even more likely to do so.

_/ C

• edited December 1969
    Iron Chef - The Wolf Age

While I agree with you that Shatner was an excellent move there are just too many things which will keep me from watching the show, including your points and these:

1) Some of the worst use of graphics I have seen on recent television. The tone and even the quality of the graphics was terrible - made me think of some sort of warped rollerball/running man promotions. What was up with the pulsating names?
    2) The use of a live audience totally transforms the mood of the show. Like you said it becomes a sports event. Even more than that, though, it had a direct effect on the production. There were several times when I couldn't even hear the commentators over the prompted screaming of the crowd. The demure setting in Japan, with the challanger's family/supporters only heightens the seriuosness and excitement of the cooking, imho. Here the crowd and the setting made the cooking secondary to the flare and flashiness. The recent food network specials of iron chef's versus american chef's had the same problems with crowds.
    3) Commentators have no interaction with the guest judges - no way to bring out their personality or remarks during the cooking. A small point - but something which I liked in the Japanese version.
    4)Where is the Backdraft soundtrack? :)

Sigh, I guess I was hoping it would really be just an updated version of Iron Chef with the same focus on the chefs, cooking and the mystic of the chairman. Since this seemed to be a pilot episode of sorts maybe they can still make changes in the format.
  • edited December 1969
    I agree wholeheartedly (nt) [nt]

• edited December 1969
    ::sprinkles Bloodrain bait::: (nt)

::pokes Carch with 10' pole::
    :
    :)
    It is WRONG for a company to intentionally release a product
    that does not do what it claims. In the real world, we call that
    "fraud". Fraud is a felony. Fraud perpetrated across
    state lines in the United States is called
    "racketeering". People get locked in small rooms for
    some length of time when it is proven that they perpetrate such
    things in the real world.

Somehow, in the world of computers, we call these things
    "status quo". Well, not me, not any more.

I will not buy another piece of computer software until I am
    reasonably certain that it is what it says it is, and does what
    it purports to do. I'm not calling myself better or worse than
    anyone else. This is a decision I've come to myself after being
    repeatedly sodomized by purveyors of software fraud.

Do what you want with your money, but for the sake of software
    users everywhere, I encourage you to be responsible with your
    money. Giving it to companies that perpetrate fraud will only
    encourage more of the same. If there's money to be had, you can
    bet that someone somewhere will rise to the challenge and do
    their level best to separate you from yours. With no downside,
    they're even more likely to do so.

_/ C
  • edited December 1969
    Now look...

English food gets a bad rap because it's always compared to French cuisine. Traditional English food can't hold a candle to the frogs in terms of sophistication, but it's outstanding when done well. It's comfort food, essentially. A good crown roast of beef with Yorkshire pudding, horseradish sauce and some boiled potatoes can be an epiphany if it's done right. Even bubble and squeek, try and find something better (well, maybe curry) after a long weekend. English cheeses are some of the best in the world, particularly when combined with good bread and some good sausage or smoked meats -- both of which the English excel at.

All I'm saying is that in my fairly limited (London a half dozen times) experience, English food is very much underrated. Hell, even the pub lunch I had a decade ago was pretty good.

Oh, and there were many pretty womens in London. Many. I wept for the pretty womens.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Now look...
    English food gets a bad rap because it's always compared to
    French cuisine. Traditional English food can't hold a candle to
    the frogs in terms of sophistication, but it's outstanding when
    done well. It's comfort food, essentially. A good crown roast of
    beef with Yorkshire pudding, horseradish sauce and some boiled
    potatoes can be an epiphany if it's done right. Even bubble and
    squeek, try and find something better (well, maybe curry) after
    a long weekend. English cheeses are some of the best in the
    world, particularly when combined with good bread and some good
    sausage or smoked meats -- both of which the English excel at.
    Seems you missed out on blood sausages, tripe, and any number of predominantly grey foodstuffs made by boiling what is usually thrown away after you harvest the yummy bits of a beast. I didn't say there was a dish or two that is really good, but on the whole, English food is only fit for being served in the midday sun (rabid dogs and brits, you know).
    All I'm saying is that in my fairly limited (London a half dozen
    times) experience, English food is very much underrated. Hell,
    even the pub lunch I had a decade ago was pretty good.

Oh, and there were many pretty womens in London. Many. I wept
    for the pretty womens.
    I will grant you that there are some pretty birds over there. Especially when you just close your eyes and listen to them. (One of the people I used to work with in London had a *champion* voice. She's actually a 4'6" black woman with a limp and bad hair.) But also think on the dental care most Brits receive(?!)... ;^)
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Re: NO.[/b]

[quote]
    It is WRONG for a company to intentionally release a product
    that does not do what it claims. In the real world, we call that
    "fraud". Fraud is a felony. Fraud perpetrated across
    state lines in the United States is called
    "racketeering". People get locked in small rooms for
    some length of time when it is proven that they perpetrate such
    things in the real world.

[/quote]
    Well, to be accurate, "racketeering" is the name given to a pattern of criminal activity. The federal racketeering statute (RICO) does require interstate activity, but the key to racketeering is multiple criminal offenses.

As for "fraud," well, there's a place where reasonable minds differ. The software industry has done a really good job of lowering expectations on performance of its products, this much is true. But as I noted in a different post, there are a variety of reasons why a software company might be sued for breach of warranty that have nothing to do with problems in the software itself, and tht gives rise to some reluctance on developers' part to make strong representations about capability. There is always a clash between what Marketing needs to say about a product to get people to buy it and what Legal needs Marketing *not* to say to avoid liability.

In the world you want, where software developers are held accountable for software that doesn't conform to the developer's claims, you'd see ads like this:
    Bloatcell may or may not be the ideal spreadsheet for some or all of your business needs. You may be able to generate elegant and informative reports, or you may not. Some or all of the functions necessary to run your business efficiently and economically may work, depending on your system software and your hardware configuration. Buy Bloatcell today, and take your chances!
    [quote]
    Do what you want with your money, but for the sake of software
    users everywhere, I encourage you to be responsible with your
    money. Giving it to companies that perpetrate fraud will only
    encourage more of the same. If there's money to be had, you can
    bet that someone somewhere will rise to the challenge and do
    their level best to separate you from yours. With no downside,
    they're even more likely to do so.

[/quote]
    First off, it's not true that there is "no downside." True, game developers rely on the fact that most people will be satisfied to get their money back for software that doesn't work. I'm not sure why you think that's not a downside, but I also don't understand why you would suggest a software developer should be liable for more than that.
    :
    ::snatches bait, runs back to cave::
  • edited December 1969
    What dental care? (nt) [nt]

• edited December 1969
    Vaporware

I hate to say it ... but vaporware has existed since computers were first made.

I agree that I should support Santa's livelihood ... afterall, he's such an awesome guy (for those of you that didn't have the pleasure of meeting him in person at a gathering), and hopefully, these guys will get it right. Smaller companies need to release product in order to generate money to get more money from investors, which in turns allows them to hire more programmers, resulting *eventually* in a better product.

As far as multiplayer, perhaps I shall return to just Myth and Myth2. However, I'm having too much fun in various other games still (Unreal (love how heads go splat), MechWarrior4, EQ (well sorta ... ), and a few others including WarCraft 2 ). I guess I'll check here once in a while to see if a dorf riot is going to happen.

• edited December 1969
    Vaporware ... not!
    I hate to say it ... but vaporware has existed since computers
    were first made.
    Myth 3 is not vaporware. It's on the shelves. It's for sale. People have bought it, and are "playing" it (if you can call running a program and having it crash without your doing anything unusual "play").

Vaporware is when a company promises to deliver something, then never ships it.

Myth 3, on the other hand, is a fraudulent product. On the outside of iits retail box, it clearly says the game does certain things which are not available inside that box.

Imagine if you bought a loaf of wheat bread, took it home, and found out that the bakery, in order to cut costs, didn't completely bake the bread. Instead of bread, you have crusty wheat paste. That's Myth 3. The crust is OK, but it sure as hell ain't bread.

_/ C

This discussion has been closed.