Headsets?

edited November 2005 in WoW: General

Comments

• edited December 1969
    What headset do you use and do you like it? I'm most interested in Mac-compatible and Bluetooth since we could use it with a cell phone as well.

Those of you on Macs & Giz, can you route your Giz session through the headset only and keep your game on the main speakers? The settings look like it would allow that, but I don't know for sure until I snag one.

Thanks for any input!
  • edited December 1969
    I'm a fan of
    Desktop - WoW'age
    Laptop - Gizmo'ing

Also i'm PC and use 1/8th mini plug mic for my mic.

I have used BT for my cell phone and LOVE IT! just my $0.02
  • edited December 1969
    What headset do you use and do you like it? I'm most interested in Mac-compatible and Bluetooth since we could use it with a cell phone as well.

Well, I use a Plantronics USB headset I like a lot (DSP 400). I had an older Logitech one they don't seem to make any more, but I shorted the cord out somehow. The newer Logitech ones just aren't that comfy for me. Make "big head" jokes here, but they felt like a vice on my noggin.

I have a BlueTooth Jabra headset I use w/my cell phone, but I like the USB one for Giz/gaming; it's easier to set up. I think Wang uses a BlueTooth thingy.
    Those of you on Macs & Giz, can you route your Giz session through the headset only and keep your game on the main speakers? The settings look like it would allow that, but I don't know for sure until I snag one.

Thanks for any input!

I use my powerbook for Giz, and my desktop for WoW. So, I'm hearing my game through my main speakers, and chat through the headset. One of the things I like about the Plantronics headset I have is that it is not "whole ear" covering: its mostly open ear, and makes this 2-sound sources thing possible.
  • edited December 1969
    I don't think a normal computer can actually distinguish between different sounds. That is it cannot send gizmo out the headset, and the game out the speakers.
    So if you want em separate, you will have to do the dual computer method.

GL

Spit
  • edited December 1969
    Actually, the bluetooth headset idea for chat and main speakers for audio would work. Even in Windows, Bluetooth (and USB for that matter) audio devices are considered separate audio controllers, so you can set your built in audio or your sound card as the main output (for your analog speakers) and set Giz to use the Bluetooth headset for input and output. The only requirement (Mac or PC) for distinguishing audio output between two different outputs is to have two distinct audio output controllers. This worked beautifully with Ventrilo and a Labtec USB Mic/headset on my Win 2000 box, in WoW, up until I decided I wasn't using my heaset anymore and lent it to someone upon which I never saw it again.

Now, if you want to do this without a Bluetooth or USB headset on a PC, you need a second audio controller. So if you've got built in sound, you need to add a PCI sound card. If you're using a PCI sound card, you probably need a second sound card. Even if your sound card has multiple outputs, chances are they're all considered the same controller and thus indistinguishable by Windows or Giz. I know with my current setup, there is no distinction between various outputs in the built in audio, so it's impossible to split the outputs between my analog speakers and my analog headset, so I just unplugged my speakers.

Then there's the big ol' monkeywrench for your plans: Do you really want to be spamming everyone on Giz with your speakers' output? Unless you have a directional Mic this WILL happen. Most headset Mics really aren't picky at all what direction the sound comes from, and don't use any sort of volume thresholds. I know if people are talking in the same room as me, my headset Mic picks it all up.

Now if you have an iMac G5 or similar built-in-Mic Mac, you don't really have anything to worry about. Use that built-in Mic, use your built-in or external speakers (whatever you prefer) and have your Giz output sent to some headphones. That Mic is a lot nicer than it needs to be and doesn't pick up the speaker output at all. It's several kinds of awesome. To make things easier, you don't even need bluetooth/USB: The built in speakers are considered to be a separate audio output device to the analog output jack... I think. Might be wrong on that. I must hunt down an iMac G5 and verify.