Protectionism

edited January 2004 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Well, now I'm sorta regretting that glowing review of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Ubi's latest antics in the copy protection arena have me determined not to buy stuff from them, and to encourage others to do the same.

It seems that the latest Raven Shield patch not only prevents playing the game from a CD image, but it refuses to run even from the original CD if you use virtual CD software. That's just outrageous.

I can understand their motivation to protect their sales, but this is taking it too far. Failing to run when a someone is merely USING software unrelated to the game is ridiculous. Not to mention that no copy protection ever stopped a determined copier (pirate, thief, pick your epithet).

Blizzard did something similar in a recent Warcraft 3 patch and quickly reversed themselves. Until Ubi does the same, I encourage you to vote with your dollars and support publishers that support gamers. There are too many great games out there to waste your time and money.

Please think twice before buying any Ubi game, especially Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, and Splinter Cell.

_/ C

_/ C's Site o' Fun!