A Glide wrapper that actually works with Myth:TFL

edited November 2003 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I know this isn't that important anymore with many folks doing "TFL emulation" in Myth II, but just FYI...

Every now and then I've tried the available Glide wrappers to see if any of them are actually competent at allowing me to use 3dfx mode in Myth:TFL. For the first time ever, this time I found one that qualifies:

zeckensack's Glide wrapper

The only actual bug I've noticed so far is that when you mouseclick, you get the default "Windows Beep" noise, at least on my XP system. Two ways to solve this:

* Use the Sounds and Audio Devices control panel to select the "No Sounds" soundscheme before you fire up TFL. (There may be slightly different names for these options in other Windows OSes.) Clunky, but straightforward.

* When you have run TFL at least once after installing the wrapper, you can use the wrapper's configuration program to set specific wrapper options for the TFL application. If you tell the wrapper to render to "client window" (TFL's usual display window) when running TFL, rather than the wrapper default of "own window" (a new window created by the wrapper), then the beepiness goes away. This is apparently a dubious setting, according to the readme, but so far it hasn't crashed my system or caused display oddities. It does have one drawback in that, when TFL switches away from its 2D menu GUI to start doing Glide rendering (i.e. when you enter a game or start a film replay), you have to use alt-tab or some other manual intervention to get the TFL display window active.

Anyway, this is a teeny problem compared to the horrendous things that other Glide wrappers have done when tried with TFL.

• edited December 1969
    Re: A Glide wrapper that actually works with Myth:TFL
    when TFL switches away from its 2D menu GUI to
    start doing Glide rendering (i.e. when you enter a game or start
    a film replay), you have to use alt-tab or some other manual
    intervention to get the TFL display window active.
    Looks like this isn't a problem if you close all other windows before starting TFL.