My current line-up...

edited January 2003 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Ghost Recon (Xbox, though I may switch to PC soon) -- The Xbox version has some problems in multiplayer, such as not being able to find games, and sometimes doing the Xbox equivalent of a BSOD (The disk you are using is dirty or damaged). Loving the game -- it's tactical sneaky squad combat. I'm pretty surprised how much I like it, since I'm not usually into "realistic" people-killing games. Maybe it's the sneakin that appeals to me, or maybe I have a suppressed inner hatred of Rooskies.

Tony Hawk 4 (Xbox) -- If you like Tony Hawk-style games, this one is the best one yet, and worth a spin (and revert, and manual, and ollie, and ...). I love the fluid sense of movement in the game, It feels a bit faster than previous versions, which is not so great for me, but the environments are MUCH bigger and richer. They've done away with the strict two minute run per round thing, and gone a bit GTA, with free-roaming environments, and characters who challenge you with various timed (usually two minutes) tasks. Soundtrack handling is better too. And ... you can turn off blood! For some reason the blood in this game always seemed out of place to me. Major downer, doesn't work with Live -- but since the Live launch was so successful, maybe Activision and EA will wake the hell up and start supporting it.

Moonbase Commander (PC) -- Since I saw Gamespot dub it the "Best PC Game of 2002 that Nobody Played" I had to get back into it. I still think I suck too much for multiplayer. The game is a visually interesting, relaxing thing that I love to play late at night to wind down. It's a bargain game, and well worth the price, it's quite fun.

Rails Across America (PC) -- played this a few days Multi with the gang, and then went back to work, so not available at the same time Nate, Wang & co. usually play. I still play it occasionally, but all the scenarios seem like more of the same thing. Would make a great Gathering game, tho...

Civ 3: Play The World (PC) -- Ok, so it has multiplayer problems. Turns out I don't have time for online multiplayer with this, and I'd rather play friends than strangers. The add-ons in the new version make it worth it for me. I still love this game. It preserves everything good about its predecessors and adds just the right things.

Dungeon Siege (PC) -- With the release of the latest toolkit, and a Mac version coming someday, my dream of doing some Myth-like scenarios with this game were revived. I never did finish the solo game, so I'm still going through it, slowly.

Really looking forward to Splinter Cell (Xbox), though I played the PC demo and it sucked hard. Lighting was completely wack on my GF4200. Maybe I need DX9 or something. Anyway, all my Xbox friends who have this insist that I buy it immediately.

WAS looking forward to Impossible Creatures -- until I played the demo. More of the same old RTS crap. The interesting twists of combining creatures and a spot-on 1930's era production design may make it worthwhile for single player. I'm going to wait until this one hits the bargain bins, though. A bit of a dissappointment for me, but there's always ...

SimCity 4 (PC). Have this on preorder. Check out the recent vids EA has released. The level of detail is makin me drool. I just pray that playing this doesn't make me want to try The Sims (which I *really* want to try -- any game that sold that many copies has to have SOMETHING going for it).

Also looking forward hopefully to Unreal II and Rise of Nations...

_/ C
  • edited December 1969
    I'm your friend
    Really looking forward to Splinter Cell (Xbox), though I played
    the PC demo and it sucked hard. Lighting was completely wack on
    my GF4200. Maybe I need DX9 or something. Anyway, all my Xbox
    friends who have this insist that I buy it immediately.
    Listen to me. Go get Splinter Cell.

- Matt

rampancy.net
    acrappa.jpg